Environmental protection is an important aspect of Krka's business strategy. We are well aware that we are part of a broad social community, which enables us to operate successfully. As our operations affect people, the community and the natural environment, we strive to reduce our impact on the environment and provide for a clean and healthy living environment for the employees and the broad community. Environmental sustainability is becoming increasingly important to our customers, our employees and the public, so we have incorporated it into Krka's daily business operations. We refer to the environmental management system ISO 14001, which was implemented in 2001.
Through a holistic approach to environmental protection, we wish to foster a positive and responsible attitude to the environment among all employees. Operational tasks are conducted by Environmental Protection.
The environmental policy reflects Krka's commitment to sustainable development and aims to reduce impacts on the environment. To fulfil our commitment, Krka intends to:
- Integrate environmental awareness in the earliest stages of development and specific investments;
- Ensure that the use of water, fuels and energy, raw materials, and other resources is rational;
- Reduce or prevent environmental impact throughout the life-cycle of products by employing the best available technologies and other measures;
- Replace (wherever possible) hazardous substances used in technologies with less hazardous ones;
- Reduce risks of the occurrence of extraordinary events and improve measures undertaken in any such events;
- Control environmental impact regularly;
- Increase environmental awareness of the employees through education and training;
- Inform the employees and other interested parties about the present state and achievements related to the environment;
- Comply regularly with legal and other requirements adopted by Krka;
- Raise environmental awareness of contractual partners as much as possible;
- Set environmental goals and programmes systematically to improve the current state of the environment;
- Implement the applicable environmental policy in Krka's subsidiaries abroad.
Environmental milestones in 2015
- Start-up of the state-of-the-art water purification system for the preparation of pharmaceutical waters and energy supply;
- decrease in the use of river water for energy by over 25%;
- implementation of a system of aerobic stabilisation of sludge at the treatment plant;
- reduction of sludge from the treatment plant by 462 t or 21%;
- reduction of waste for disposal in landfills by 5%;
- replacement of the steam boiler in Ločna;
- reconstruction of the dry air preparation system in Notol;
- upgrading the energy monitoring and targeting (M&T) system;
- reducing fuel consumption in transport by 2.6%.