22 April is Earth Day, which addresses all people in the world and encourages environmental actions and responsibility for sustainability, has passed the half-century mark. Invest In Our Planet remains the theme this year in order to continue addressing activities started last year and highlighting environmental imperatives. More than one billion of the people all over the world are involved in various activities to mark the Earth Day. Whether or not the Earth will be restored depends on each of us. A healthy planet is not a preference, but an imperative.
We at Krka reduce the environmental impacts of our operations by introducing sustainable solutions, which must be considered throughout the product life cycles. We are committed to mitigation of and adaptation to climate changes, rational use of energy and all natural resources, transition to circular economy, reduction of emission and waste, and biodiversity protection. We ensure healthy working conditions for our employees and sound environment, bearing the wider community in mind.
We took new steps towards environmental sustainability in 2022. We reduced paper use by downsizing patient information leaflet design, introduced renewable resources for electricity supply, improved separate waste collection systems, reduced disposed waste volume, and set up with a major supplier the system of returnable packaging. We follow the guidelines on environmentally sound management in the entire Krka Group.
2022 Environmental Milestones
- We cut the specific energy use, measured in TJ per billion product pieces, by 6% on average over the past period.
- We reduced our carbon footprint by 320 tonnes of CO2-eq per year through our energy efficiency improvement projects.
- We reduced paper use by 9 tonnes by optimising the patient information leaflet design.
- We reduced river water consumption by 4.3% replacing it with rainwater in cooling towers.
- We reduced disposable waste by 13%.
- We handed over a total of 492 tonnes of waste composites for processing, from which the contractor recovered 206 tonnes of aluminium and 255 tonnes of plastic.
- We set ESG strategic goals, which commit us to reducing our carbon footprint, increasing renewable energy, cutting specific waste volume, and ensuring efficient use of energy, water and other resources.