Environmental challenges are faced with full responsibility at Krka. We are continually striving to reduce the consumption of natural resources and make it sustainable long-term, as well as reduce emissions and contribute to a better environment. We do this by implementing a myriad of projects where these issues are taken into the account already at the design phase and by organising various activities that encourage the involvement of everyone employed at Krka.
In this way it can be said that we have been following the primary theme of this year’s Earth Day, which is ‘Restore our Earth’, for 51 years already. The slogan invites us to face environmental challenges such as climate change, pollution, overuse of natural resources and diminishing biodiversity even more boldly.
Krka’s environmental goals include having a comprehensive environmental management system, pursuit of sustainable development, continual improvement of all environmental aspects and ensuring a healthy living environment to all Krka employees, the wider community and all living beings. The slogan of EU’s environment action plan Living well, within the limits of our planet guides our actions, making environmental protection an important part of our business strategy.
2020 environmental milestones
- Reduction of total environmental load units (ELUs) of waste water by 28.6%.
- Substitution of river water used to supply cooling towers with clean rinse-water from production by 1.5%.
- Substitution of river water used to supply cooling towers with rainwater by 2.9%.
- A total of 420 tonnes of waste composites were handed over to processing, from which the contractor recovered 154 tonnes of aluminium and 245 tonnes of plastic.
- Reduction in the quantity of waste for disposal in landfills by 10 tonnes.
- Reduction in CO2 emissions by 17,000 tonnes over a period of a few years – tantamount to planting 85,000 trees.
- Over the past 6 years, the total rated power of outdoor lighting fixtures decreased by 47% due to the upgrades to outdoor lighting fixtures.